Spirometry testing event
‘Breathe Freely in Germany’ was the slogan for the 2008 Spirometry event, which took place in Berlin, Germany during the 18th ERS Annual Congress. This event was a huge success as a staggering 3,918 lung function tests were achieved over 27 hours.
The event was held on Straße des 17. Juni, between the Brandenburg Gate and the Victory Column, which is known as the ‘party-mile’ as it took place in conjunction with German Unification Day celebrations.
Berlin residents and visitors had the opportunity to have their lung function tested for free in one of the 18 testing booths, as well as access to a series of “meet the experts sessions” on the stage located close to the tent.
A total of 22.5% of people showed some level of abnormal lung function, something that they may never have realised if they hadn’t taken a lung test. Our event encouraged these people to seek further advice and support from their doctors to improve their quality of life.
The ELF would like to express its sincere thanks to Boehringer Ingelheim for its financial support and to all the taskforce whose hard work and support made this year’s event a record success.
The ERS/ELF Spirometry event 2009 will be held in Vienna, Austria and hopes to beat the success of 2008.
The ERS and the ELF would like to thank the following partners for their essential assistance with the spirometry event:
• The Berlin Congress Chairs, who have devoted so much of their scarce time to organising the event.
• The volunteer nurses and doctors, who will do the actual work of testing and explaining to the public.
• The generous financial support of Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH.
• The contribution of equipment, training, time and effort from ndd Medizintechnik AG and Aerocrine AG.
• K.I.T. Group GmbH, which has organised the complex logistics of the event.
• The Freier Atmen in Deutschland (DGP, AWL and DLS) for their enthusiastic practical and financial assistance.