Diagnosis and treatment
- Better and more rapid diagnostic tools should be developed for both latent and active disease.
- More effective vaccines should be developed for the prevention of active disease.
- New highly active drugs are needed to treat resistant TB bacteria.
- TB control programmes that are linked with HIV control programmes should be initiated, especially in countries where TB is still highly prevalent.
- The benefits of treatment of latent TB infection on the overall impact of TB in Europe need to be assessed.
- The issue of genetic susceptibility to TB needs to be further investigated.
- Tools should be developed to identify highly susceptible individuals